Wednesday, October 28, 2009

An Award & Waiting on Wednesday: Blessing's Bead

This week I'm Waiting On

Blessing's Bead by Debby Dahl Edwardson

Released: Nov. 10, 2009

Nutaaq and her older sister, Aaluk, are on a great journey, sailing from a small island off the coast of Alaska to the annual trade fair. There, a handsome young Siberian wearing a string of cobalt blue beads watches Aaluk “the way a wolf watches a caribou, never resting.” Soon his actions—and other events more horrible than Nutaaq could ever imagine—threaten to shatter her I~nupiaq world. Seventy years later, Nutaaq’s greatgranddaughter, Blessing, is on her own journey, running from the wreckage of her life in Anchorage to live in a remote Arctic village with a grandmother she barely remembers. In her new home, unfriendly girls whisper in a language she can’t understand, and Blessing feels like an outsider among her own people. Until she finds a cobalt blue bead—Nutaaq’s bead—in her grandmother’s sewing tin. The events this discovery triggers reveal the power of family and heritage to heal, despite seemingly insurmountable odds.

-Amazon describes this as 9-12, but I think it may also be early YA (the main characters are teenagers). We need more books about the natives in Alaska!

And I received an award from the awesome Donna Bites Thanks so much Donna!

The Honest Scrap award is given to 7 bloggers. List 10 honest things about yourself. This award is given to bloggers who blog from the heart. I'm so honored to get this because I always strive to be honest! And if you're not mentioned, I still love you but I could only nominate 7! I also tried to give the award to new people :)

I nominate (random order)

1. Justine at Justine Larbalestier

2. Lee Wind at I'm Here. I'm Queer, what the Hell do I Read?

3. Briana, Arielle & Marissa at B.A.M. Book Reviews

4. Celi.a at adventures of cecelia bedalia

5. Michelle at A Reader's Respite

6. Steph at Steph Su Reads

7. Reggie at the Undercover Book Lover (Not Really)

10 Honest Things

1. I really dislike school (I'd rather read all day and hang out with friends)

2. I LOVE politics (just not all politicians!)

3. I love chocolate. If I could, I would eat a piece everyday :D

4. I'm a Chicago fan (Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, everyone except the White Sox, bleh).

5. I want the Yankees to win the 2009 World Series. And I want the Cubs to win the 2010

6. I'm really not all that into Halloween (never have been). All the other book blogs helped get me in the spirit.

7. I love musicals and dance movies (original Fame, Mamma Mia!, Wicked, Carmen Jones, Chicago)

8. I have no idea as to what I really want to do once I graduate college

9. I don't have the patience or talent to write a book (but thank you to all who think I could!)

10. I've always wanted to go sky-diving!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on your award, love your honest list.
    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dance movies are awesome - even the very awful ones! Are you a Footloose or a Dirty Dancing fan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your award! And enjoy Blessing's Bead. I'm reading it right now and plan to review it for Readergirlz Salon sometime within the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I am right there with you when it comes to musicals and dance movies. I can't get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the shout-out. I can't wait to explore those other blogs that, like yours, speak from the heart.
    Namaste,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, thank you so much....this is a fabulous award and I'm honored you thought of me. :) I'll try to live up to the expectations, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them both! I'm not at all happy about them remaking Footloose (unless they get rid of Zac Efron, then I'd be happy). I also love CenterStage, A Chorus Line and I really want to see Hair & Rent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm almost done with Blessing's Bead, and although it's been classified as YA everywhere except Amazon, I'd consider it middle grade. Blessing is around 12 and her voice is clearly that of a preteen rather than a teenager. It's a beautifully written story with an incredibly strong sense of place.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thank you for sharing :) And don't be Anon, I try to always reply back and I like to know who I'm replying to ;)